- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older.
- Applicant must be an emerging creator or filmmaker, having not had any works or projects mass distributed commercially prior to this submission.
- Applicant must be a resident of the United States.
- Projects must reflect African, African American or other Afro subcultural experiences, or address other broader topics from the perspective or incorporating the perspective of African, African American or other Afro centric cultures.
- Projects may not include any paid product integrations or other sponsorships of any kind.
Project Specification Requirements
- Formats: features, featurettes, documentaries, web series
- Length: at least 45 mins of content
- Rating: equivalent to a rating no higher than PG
Initial Submission Items
Applicant must submit the following items (“Initial Submission Items”) within the Application Period to qualify:
- Application: Application form located at xfinityblackexperience.com;
- Script/Creative Outline: 5 pages of script (or a creative outline if not scripted) that reflect one or more major themes of the Project;
- Footage: A 5-minute trailer or sample footage that provides the best representation of your Project; and
- Submission Agreement: The Applicant must agree to Comcast’s Submission Agreement. This Submission Agreement includes important terms and conditions (including arbitration of disputes) that Applicant should read carefully before accepting.
Semi-Finalist Submission Items
If Applicant is selected as a semi-finalist for the Grant Program, Applicant must submit the following additional items (“Semi-Finalist Submission Items”) to Comcast no later than the date designated by Comcast:
- Full script;
- Close to final cut or final cut of the Project, acknowledging that there may need to be final edits, clearances (including music), post-production, and/or pick-up days etc; and
- If not providing final cut, description of the steps left in the Project.
- All applicant submissions will be reviewed for consideration to be selected as a semi-finalist.
- All semi-finalists will be notified and asked to submit the Semi-Finalist Submission Items.
- Jury of entertainment professionals in the industry will evaluate semi-finalists and help determine the final grant recipients.
Submissions will be evaluated on a number of criteria, including Eligibility, adherence to the Project Specification Requirements herein, engaging storytelling, originality, contemporary cultural relevance, and potential to reach and connect with the Black Experience on Xfinity audience. All determinations with respect to any such criteria are subject to Comcast’s sole discretion and judgment. This grant program prioritizes funding films from early career and emerging filmmakers. To that end, the filmmaker’s experience level and access to resources, both financial and creative, is taken into consideration.
Comcast may, at its election, license a Grant Recipient’s final Project pursuant to the terms contained in Comcast’s License Agreement.This License Agreement includes important terms and conditions (including arbitration of disputes) which Applicant should read carefully before submitting a Project.